Category Archives: Shopping
I set several goals for myself in 2012. I even wrote them down. One of them was to keep a journal, which is where I wrote the goals. But that is where the journaling stopped. But here they are, along with the progress I made.
1. Run Outside More – Less Treadmill. Well, I have to say that I hit this one out of the park. Once we moved to Phoenix, the treadmill had to be an option when the temps were in the triple digits. But overall, I ran just shy of 700 miles (NOT the results I wanted, but better than 2011) and only 128.7 of them were inside.
2. Increase Mileage. Overall, yes. I ran more in 2012 than I did in 2011. But I had hoped for better mileage. I did discover that I do WELL with running twice a day. And would much rather do two short runs than one long one. Go figure. And I increased my “short” runs from 3 miles to 4 and 5 miles.
3. PR 5K. HELL TO THE YES!!!! I knocked quite a bit of time off my 5K PR and broke my 30:00 goal. I ran a 28:27 and am VERY VERY happy with that. This AWFUL picture is what it looks like to PR a 5K.
4. PR Half. I made one attempt at this in February and failed. Miserably. But I had a great time with my sister that day. Later in the year I decided that I didn’t want to race the 13.1 distance and I am still VERY ok with that! I DID PR my 10K time by over 4 minutes, I think.
5. Spend Less. I have to think I did better with this or we wouldn’t have had the money to hire people to pack and move us. Or the money to move in general. So I am saying this was a success.
6. Stop Stockpiling Food. I thought I was doing better with this. Especially with the big move. But I cleaned out the cabinets last week and the results were poor. It will be on my list of goals for 2013 as well. I just can’t resist a sale at the grocery store!
7. Spend Time with Dogs. I don’t think this is exactly what I meant. I work from home. I am with the dogs all day, every day. But rather I meant walk them and play with them more. Walking, yes there definitely has been more of that. Playing, not really. I seem to get injured when I play with the dogs. So walking will have to do.
Overall, not bad. I will be setting (or resetting) goals for 2013. Did you set goals for 2012 and how did you do?
One of the big trends in 2012 was in-a-box programs. The biggest seemed to be the beauty boxes. A monthly program that delivers different sample sized beauty products to your door. A great way to try new things and see what the latest and greatest products are without having to buy a full-sized bottle or tube. Another of these in-a-box programs is PV Body.
My sister told me about it and I was intrigued. A similar program to the beauty boxes but PV Body delivers fitness clothes to your door for $50 a month. You take a quiz related to the type of working out that you do, what styles and colors you prefer, etc. And then the first shipment arrives with a top and bottom in each box. There is no obligation and you can cancel anytime. You can return if the items don’t fit or even if you just don’t like them. I definitely have some items in my rotation that need to be retired and thought this would be a great way to try some new brands and styles.
This is what arrived. What I would consider compression tights from American Apparel. And the tank is Nux. All in all, I would say this was a great value for what I paid (my first order was 20% off). I will wear the tights for running and the tank will be great for the gym.
I will wait and see what shows up next month!
Saturday started out with the dog getting me up at 4am. Apparently he had already gotten Michael up at 2am and Michael couldn’t find his way back to the bedroom. i found him in the guest room. So Solo was up again at 6am but this time just to snuggle. And then was up at 7am. I did the litterbox and some other household stuff and then headed out the door.
I reversed my route today to even out the camber on my ankles. Which meant a big downhill on the way out to mile 2, and then that HORRIFIC HEADWIND down the canal to mile 4. By the time I turned off the canal for mile 4 uphill, the uphill felt easier than the wind. And mile 5 was rolling hills and back into the neighborhood.
Run: 6 miles / 1:10:50
Pile On The Miles for this week: 22
The rest of Saturday was spent picking up our Bountiful Basket (pears, apples, banana’s, a pineapple, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and some sort of melon) and then we looked at a house for sale that has caught my attention.
Banana, Soup and Pringles, Protein Bar, Peach, Carrots, Pork Chop with carrots and broccoli, scone, tea.
Sunday brings SLOTH and Ironman Arizona!!!
Tuesday had to have been one of the most boring days ever. My sore toe kept me tossing and turning for hours and I ignored the alarm. Running wasn’t going to happen today anyway (see: toe) but I wanted to get something fitness related in. So ignoring the alarm was disappointing. But after my first meeting, I rode my bike to Target and back. I didn’t take my Garmin but it would be somewhere around 5-6 miles roundtrip.
Bike: 5-6 miles
After that, there was another meeting and then nothing. The kind of nothing where you can’t move forward until you receive feedback on what you have done so far but the feedback doesn’t come and so you wait. And wait. And wait.
Breakfast: Coffee and a protein bar
Snack: An apple
Lunch: Egg beaters with salsa, turkey sausage and an english muffin
Snack: Carrots and a Dark Chocoalte, Nuts & Sea Salt Kind bar, peach
Dinner: Cajun Chicken Pasta
THIS guy was so tired because he spent the day barking at anything/nothing in the yard like an a$$hole. We all have those days. Just for B: there must have been a pine cone. It WAS election day.
In case anyone is in the market for some compression socks, SkinnyRunner has a code on her site today for the Pro Compression Argyle Marathon socks. I couldn’t resist. And Christmas is coming.
Has anyone started their shopping yet? I would like to get mine done early. But it is the sort of thing I normally knock out in a day. I shop for my family, DH for his. And since this is the first year that my family is local, I don’t have to worry about shipping or traveling with gifts!!!! Let DH figure all of that out on his own.
And a BIG shout out to my dearest friend B, who is under contract on his first house!!!! He is an incredible friend and has been there for us over our last four moves. I wish we could be there to repay the favors for him. But I have known for quite a while what his housewarming gift will be!
Friday was a quiet day. A non-running day. I did the same 6 hilly miles on my bike from Wednesday. My speed and control are definitely improving! And it was plank time trial day as well (Carrots n Cake 4 Week Plank Challenge). I beat my Monday time (1:45) by 15 seconds (2:00).
Food today was a protein bar, coffee, a turkey burger and veggie straws, some snack mix, red wine and Michael’s spaghetti with one garlic stick.
I did my Costco and Sam’s errands. I was initially excited to see Sam’s carrying my GNC Vita-Packs again, only to realize they were the wrong ones. After I bought them. I used to take (And like) Active. These were Energy. So they will go back to the store. I see other people talking about what they get at the warehouse stores. So here you go:
Sams: Chicken Sausages, Caribou KCups, Stauffers Animal Crackers
Costco: Baby Carrots (2 5lb bags), Half and Half, Muffins (Apple and Pumpkin), Propel, Almonds, Cashews, Shrimp, Dog Toys
I thought the Honeycrisp Apples were OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, especially when I know they are on sale at the grocery store this week. And because I am a big sucker, I had to buy Annabelle more Do-Do Birds. I have never seen so much doggie-joy from something so small (and cheap). I will stockpile the new ones away for a rainy day.
Any big weekend plans? I have an 8-mile run, a Halloween party and not much else!